You will be asked to submit or complete the following items/examinations within one year of your conditional entrance to the Master of Music in Music Education – Kodály Emphasis program:
- Music History/Theory Requirement: Students will complete Music History and Music Theory examinations during their first summer of study.
- Students must either pass these examinations or fulfill this requirement by taking the Music History and/or Music Theory Review course(s) before graduation.
- Successful completion of either the examinations or the needed review course(s) will satisfy this requirement. NOTE: Credits earned in the Music History and/or Music Theory review course(s) will not count toward degree program, but rather will serve to satisfy this program requirement.
- DVD/video demonstrating teaching experience in the classroom or studio setting.
- Conducting demonstration showing work with an ensemble in a classroom or rehearsal setting. Your conducting demonstration may be submitted on DVD or completed on campus within first year of college attendance. The conducting demonstration consists of the conducting of two chorales, one in 3/4 meter and one in 4/4 meter or equivalent literature. The music can be sung by a choir or performed by an instrumental group. You will be critiqued based upon the following criteria:
- Clear Preparatory beats
- Clear beat patterns
- Fermatas properly executed
- Concise Cut-offs
- Performance Exam - to be completed on campus within the first year of attendance. Your performance exam will be performed on your major performing instrument/voice before the Holy Family College of the Holy Family faculty. The performance exam will critique basic musicianship and technique on your major performing instrument/ voice. Each exam will consist of:
- Vocal Audition – one art song in English and one art song in a foreign language
- Piano Audition – a Baroque work and one other work of a different style
- Instrumental Audition – two selections of contrasting style
Students will be officially accepted into the Master of Music in Music Education – Kodály Emphasis upon successful completion of the above listed benchmark requirements.